Why your Instagram account isn’t growing
If you find yourself wondering why your Instagram account doesn’t seem to be growing, you’re not alone. It truthfully comes down to two simple factors:
lack of time and lack of real estate.
The fact that there are 1 billion (YES, 1 BILLION) active users on Instagram means more competition, and more importantly, more clutter. This presents new challenges that most individuals and businesses are already experiencing.
As social media platforms become saturated with more users, it causes the platforms to update the way the feeds work. Instead of just showing posts, from those you are following, in chronological order, they have to create algorithms that show posts based on things like average engagements rate, popularity, celebrity, post time, media type, and a million other tiny factors our brain doesn’t even understand.
Here’s how 1 billion users impact businesses:
- 1 billion people means a lot of potential customers
- The platform is going to be around for a long time and your Instagram is essentially your new website. It’s very stable, BUT
- With greater supply (more users creating content), the demand is being outweighed. Your posts are likely not getting seen by as many people as they used to, which 1000% hinders growth.
- Instagram is heavily pushing business accounts to advertise
The truth of the matter is that not many people can grow an Instagram following on their own. Not everyone has the personality, the time, the niche, the patience and the drive to devote to Instagram. Honestly, most of the people we talk to just want a large Instagram following, but do not want to put in the work it takes to organically grow or maintain a following.
Like most people, you’re secretly hoping for a magic bullet… but you know such a thing doesn’t exist for building a quality audience.
To give you an idea on how much time it takes to ‘potentially’ grow a following on Instagram we surveyed 100 brands and influencers who grew their accounts themselves.
FOUR HOURS. THAT’S HOW LONG THEY SPEND ON INSTAGRAM EVERY DAY.
- Research. Looking at what’s trending, what their competition is up to.
- Answering comments.
- Answering DMs.
- Recording information from DMs for market research purposes.
- Commenting on photos.
- Uploading and filming stories.
- Looking at analytics at least three times a day
- Last but not least, uploading photos
AND THAT DOESN’T EVEN COUNT THE AMOUNT OF TIME SPENT ON CONTENT CREATION EVERY WEEK, WHICH INVOLVES MANY, MANY, MORE HOURS.
It’s important to note that even if you dedicate all this time to growing your brand on Instagram you are NOT guaranteed success.
What can you do?
Increased competition means more saturation. That fact, combined with decreasing organic reach, means you’re either going to have to pay to play without guaranteed results moving forward OR hire an agency to take the guesswork out of growing your account. We have developed a TIME-TESTED and PROVEN system that takes the guesswork out of growing accounts. We provide our clients guaranteed organic growth over time for not even a fraction of the price on expensive ads or marketing campaigns.